Choosing a business name is extremely important. Whether for a child or a business, a name is how the world will forever recognize and associate you.
Last year it became apparent to me that I needed to change my business name. Office Solutions ME was consistently getting inquiries for office equipment, instead of virtual administrative support. So, I started on a journey to find a more suitable name. I didn’t want to lose the market recognition I had built locally, or completely redefine my brand. I was well aware of the substantial expense I would incur with a name change and re-branding. I wanted to do it once and do it right.
I started by polling my current clients to learn what they had to say about my services and how they would describe my business. I got some great feedback, including terms like “lifesaver” and quotes such as “you are my organized brain”.
I spoke to several people over the course of a few months about naming concepts, and got opinions from everyone I talked to. I did some key word research, domain name research, and corporate name research through the Secretary of State.
Here were some of my primary considerations in choosing a new business name:
- Is the name legally available
- Is the domain name available
- Is the name (fairly) easy to spell
- Is the name easy to remember
- Is the domain name easy to remember
- Does the name help define my services
- What acronym does the name create
- Does the name utilize key words
From here I found a few options that fit the logical requirements. The emotional requirements would follow. I had to like the new name and feel like it represented me and my business well.
Finally, a few other considerations were:
- Twitter handle availability
- Facebook page URL
- Domain name length
- Logo potential
- Tag line potential
After over 6 months of research and analysis, I finally made the switch from Office Solutions ME to Strategic Office Support LLC.
Here is some of the rationale that lead me to choose Strategic Office Support:
- I retained some of the previous name and with it some recognition
- The abbreviation – SOS – can refer to the help I provide businesses
- Office and Support are key words
- Strategic is a powerful adjective
- The legal name and URL were available
- I could easily retain my color scheme
- There were many logo possibilities
Of course this was just the beginning of my re-branding journey. I look forward to sharing more with you in future posts.
Do you have a business naming or renaming experience to share?