Does your Website give the best 1st Impression?
Your website can be crucial to the image of your business! In many cases, this is can be your first impression or a crucial follow-up. If done correctly, a website tells people what you do, shows people how you do it, builds confidence and credibility in you and your business, and encourages potential clients to contact you.
Tips to help you build/design a professional (virtual) first impression;
- Be crystal clear – make sure potential customers do not have to go far to find out what you do and what your business is about. Put your description on your home page, and make sure it’s clear and concise.
- Claim attention early – make your home page attractive to your audience, but not distracting. Use colors, images, fonts, and text that compliment each other. Remember, many visitors may not even scroll to the end of the page, never mind visit any additional pages.
- Look the part – you don’t have to be a web designer or HTML expert to make your website look good. There are many tools available to assist in basic creative designing. However, if you want something elaborate then it may be worth your money to outsource the task.
- Use testimonials – word of mouth works wonders. When asked, many customers will be glad to provide you with a short statement of satisfaction and praise. In turn, you mention them on your website with a link back to their site. This is a great way to help build credibility.
- Be easy to contact – offer a way to contact you on every page. Don’t make visitors have to search for your contact information.
- Be easy to navigate – don’t use more pages than you need, but don’t try to cram everything on one page.
- Don’t drive people away – be sure any external links open in a new window, so that visitors do not leave your website.
And if you don’t have a website at all, consider these factors…
- Some people will not do business with companies that do not have a website.
- A website is a great way for you to advertise your business and allow potential customers to ‘browse’.
- Cost should not be a deterrent. There are many web hosting sites that offer free and low cost basic accounts.
If you have questions or suggestions about establishing a website, I would love to hear them!